Opel Rekord '68 Sprint, 4-door Sedan

Restaurations- und Werkstattberichte, Vorstellung eurer Fahrzeuge
Greaser
Postleitzahl: 53567
Land: Deutschland

Re: Opel Rekord '68 Sprint, 4-door Sedan

Ungelesener Beitrag von Greaser »

Yes, the stripes were painted on the body. But if your car does not show any left-overs from original stripe paintings, this does not really mean anything.
Some customers did not like the rude appearance of a "striped warrior" and therefore they cancelled the stripes.

ziemniak
Postleitzahl: 15684

Ungelesener Beitrag von ziemniak »

Hello again :)
Our Rekord spent the whole year in the nice cosy garage ;)

Two days ago we moved him to another one, and started stripping it.
As far as we know, our sprint actualy IS the rare 4d sprint. We are 90% sure. Last thing we need to know is how to recognize this:
http://www.cokebottle-design.de/commodo ... chsen.html

In general, we are very curious, what does it mean, that Achskorper <don't know the meaning in english> was strenghtened in Opel Commodore???
What were the differences between Commodore's and Rekord's Ahcskorper? Maybe anybody has a photo where these achskorpers are compared?

Also we would like to know, what does it mean, that Rekord didn't have Farbliche Kennzeichnungen (colourful markings?????)

We also don't know whta does this mean:
"Verstärkte Anschlagpuffer untere Querlenker"

Please help :) According to the VIN number on the plate under the bonnet, our car is 2d Coupe :shock:

Oh! One more - are there any other places, where we can find VIN number on this car, except for the plate under the bonnet?

Greetings and thanks for all the help :)

Benny Benson
Postleitzahl: 64285

Ungelesener Beitrag von Benny Benson »

Hey great to hear some News :)

Can't really help you with the Achskörper (Axle) problem, don't have any Photos. Just know there are a few differents.
The mount for the upper Control Arms is 17mm higher at Commodore and Sprint Axles just to have enough room for the bigger breakes.

Farbliche Markierung, means there has to be a painted mark, like a green dot, somewhere on the Axle

Anschlagpuffer untere Querlenker is this thing here. "verstärkt" means strenghtened
Bild

Only places i Know for the VIN Numbers are under the Bonnet
http://graf-vlad.de/inhalt/alte_kisten/ ... child.html

hope i could help a little.

ziemniak

Thanks-a-lot :)

I've been talking to Vlad already.

According to VIN number it is 2d Coupe :/

Well, we have stripped the car down a bit. And we don't have good news :(

Probably it is a Commodore with a header panel (with VIN) from another car :/

We have sodablasted a few points of the car. Every part except for the front panel used to be green only (we can strip every layer of paint). Front panel used to be yellow, and than painted green, so it comes from another car.

My guess is;

It used to be Opel Commodore, which somebody crashed in Germany. In the 80's it came to Poland (as many other crashed cars from Germany :lol: ), and somebody repaired the front and the back of the car using Sprint 2d parts, which were found on some scrapyard, and than it became Opel Rekord :lol:

Also, we made contact with on of the previous owners of this car. They bought it in 1990 with original 1.9 Sprint engine. It was already than not in a good shape (already after crash and repairs according to the documents, that we got from the previous owner - after 20 years, they still kept it :lol:).
In 1992 the engine was swapped to 2.0 which is in the car until today.

We also have contact to the owner before 1990, we are trying to contact him <lives in US>.

Oh, and on the back of the car we have a lot of putty, and on the front door on the right, and on the lower parts of the doors. Putty everywhere :)

Now we don't know what to do with the car.

If - by some miracle - it would anyway appear to be Sprint, we'll probably restore the car. If it is only a Commo, we'll contact some metal shaper, and ask how much will it cost to do the bodywork, and than - or we'll repair it, or dump it :/ It doesn't look good after stripping..

Greets

dido1903
Postleitzahl: 1000

Ungelesener Beitrag von dido1903 »

ziemniak hat geschrieben:My guess is;

It used to be Opel Commodore, which somebody crashed in Germany. In the 80's it came to Poland (as many other crashed cars from Germany :lol: ), and somebody repaired the front and the back of the car using Sprint 2d parts, which were found on some scrapyard, and than it became Opel Rekord :lol:
I think so. Because the same way it had been here in Bulgaria in 80's because of the lack of the original parts. I've seen Rekords with parts from Lada, or something else russian made :oops:
ziemniak hat geschrieben:Oh, and on the back of the car we have a lot of putty, and on the front door on the right, and on the lower parts of the doors. Putty everywhere :)
Now we don't know what to do with the car.
About putty and rust - mine is the same way.
About the future of the car - Don't give up, my friend!
Keep trying! :beerchug
Opel Rekord C Coupe 1971
Opel Rekord D Coupe 1975
Let there be Rock !

ziemniak

Hi again :)

today I found out something new - i've observed, that all (?) of the Commo's/Rekords have the front panels made of steel, ours is made of some kind of plastic (???) , anyways, it is not a metal, but something artificial. Did some kinds of Rekords or Commodores have front side panels made of something else, than metal. Exactly i mean this part:

http://braderek.gotdns.com/foto/2011-03 ... .03.11.jpg

Ours is made of some kind of plastic. Help please :)

Greets :D
Maciej

Benny Benson
Postleitzahl: 64285

Ungelesener Beitrag von Benny Benson »

Sounds like u have some Glass Fiber Fenders.

The good Thing about is....they never rust :D

Antworten